<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://readeroffictions.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
A Reader of Fictions: Cover Snark (51): You'd Be Surprised What You Can Do with MS Paint

A Reader of Fictions

Book Reviews for Just About Every Kind of Book

Thursday, April 4, 2013

Cover Snark (51): You'd Be Surprised What You Can Do with MS Paint

Welcome to Cover Snark, where the people are snarky and the covers quiver in fear. Since I don't write many snarky book reviews here on A Reader of Fictions, Cover Snark is my outlet. If you click on the title of the book, where possible, I've linked to Goodreads. Clicking on the cover itself will show you the cover in a larger size, in most cases. Feel free to love covers I hate and vice versa. Let me know your thoughts in the comments!

Shiny and New:

1. Horizon (Soul Seekers #4) by Alyson Noël
 Thoughts: On the one hand, this is super stereotypical paranormal romance cover, especially with the dude in manly pose on the steps, but I am a sucker for that flaming dress.

2. Independent Study (The Testing #2) - Joelle Charbonneau
Thoughts: They're really not hitting it out of the park with these covers. This display of collector's pins isn't doing anything for me at all.

3. The Testing Guide - Joelle Charbonneau
Thoughts: Oh man, as if e-novella covers weren't bad enough, they're now brashly declaring their status in bright yellow. Bleh.

4. The Pretenders (Cemetery Girl #1) - Charlaine Harris & Christopher Golden
 Thoughts: Charlaine Harris has a graphic novel series now? This goes on my shit list for putting the author's names larger than the title, AND the series title larger than the book title. Also, do Harris and Golden really need their names on there twice?

5. Dead of Night - Charlaine Harris & Amanda Stevens
Thoughts: Okay, Charlaine Harris, we get it. You're kind of a big deal. Here's another font size trend that pisses me off: putting one author's name larger when both contributed short stories. I feel bad for Amanda Stevens. I do like the font color on the title, but otherwise meh.

6. After Dead: What Came Next in the World of Sookie Stackhouse (Sookie Stackhouse #13.5) - Charlaine Harris
 Thoughts: I thought this series ended? Now we're having novella epilogues? Really? Will the madness never cease?

7. A Desire So Deadly (A Need So Beautiful #2.5) - Suzanne Young
Thoughts: Though I don't like this much, I am glad Impulse took the time to make this fit with the series. That tagline is unfortunate though.

8. Shadowed (Fated #3) - Sarah Alderson
Thoughts: Bored now.

9. Dark Witch (The Cousins O'Dwyer Trilogy #1) - Nora Roberts
Thoughts: *snores*

10. Shadows - Robin McKinley
 Thoughts: Why are there so many boring covers this week? This lacks any element to really make it pop.

11. Elegy (Watersong #4) - Amanda Hocking
 Thoughts: What's up with the red feathers? Where are they coming from? I really hate the spontaneous feather trend.

12. Queen of Jastain - Kary Rader
Thoughts: A sure sign that your font doesn't work is when it's hard to figure out what the title is. I thought that was an F. Since when are Js crossed? Also, that guys so muscular he can't put his arms down, so I'm imagining him lumbering around like a gorilla.

13. Stars in Her Eyes (Sparkstone #1) - Clare C. Marshall
Thoughts: I am SO glad they decided not to make the title literal. The illustration works well, only I think the reflected image of the spaceship is odd. At first, I wasn't even sure what they were, like they might be crazy eyes or something. They could at least be less obviously the same damn image flipped.

14. Four Summers - Nyrae Dawn
Thoughts: Totally didn't notice the four in the title until I looked this up on Goodreads. Note how the 4 looks like a sailboat and die a bit of cheesiness. 4 summers, 4 stock images of romance.

15. Autumn Bones (Agent of Hel #2) - Jacqueline Carey
 Thoughts: What is this I spy? A paranormal heroine dressed in weather-appropriate clothing? That one swirly bit on the left is totally out of place though.

16. The Angel Stone (Fairwick Chronicles #3) - Juliet Dark
Thoughts: OMG, so pretty.

17. The Lair (The Farm #2) - Emily McKay
Thoughts: The title and tagline are in contradiction. Also, her expression is weird.

18. Year of the Demon (Fated Blades #2) - Steve Bein
 Thoughts: She wants to kill me. I'm sure of it. Love how intense she is, and the vaguely philosophical tagline. Now I have to go listen to this.

19. Possession (Fallen Angels #5) - J.R. Ward
Thoughts: What do S&M, angels, and a manga character have in common? I have NO idea.

20. Everything for Us (The Bad Boys #3) - M. Leighton
 Thoughts: This is so meh. There needs to be more color to the font or at least a better image.

21. The End Was Not the End: Post-Apocalyptic Fantasy Tales - Joshua H. Leet, ed.
 Thoughts: It's campy, and reminds me of The Lion King, but I do like the honesty of the title, because that's what post-apocalyptic is all about.

22. Over It (The Kiss Off #2) - Sarah Billington
Thoughts: What is she over? Victory? Virginity? The letter V?

23. The Siren's Secret (The Shapeshifter's Secret #2) - Heather Ostler
Thoughts: Her body does not look right. Her head is way too big for her body and that angle is so unnatural. No, no, no.

24. Bluewing (The Frost Chronicles #4) - Kate Avery Ellison
Thoughts: Yup, that's a braid.

25. The Enchantress Returns (The Land of Stories #2) - Chris Colfer
Thoughts: From far away, it's OK, but up close, it's a big old mess.

26. A Modern Love Story - Jolyn Palliata
Thoughts: Brought to you by Levi's.

27. Shudder (Stitch Trilogy #2) - Samantha Durante
  Thoughts: I shudder at how unfortunate these fonts are.

28. Bare It All (Love Undercover #2) - Lori Foster
 Thoughts: Ironically, this is one of the few romance covers where the male model wears a shirt.

29. Deadshifted (Edie Spence #4) - Cassie Alexander
Thoughts: Pretty, but...is that a TENTACLE? That's some crazy hentai stuff.

30. How Beauty Loved the Beast (Tales of the Underlight #3) - Jax Garren
Thoughts: Accidental boob graze! (Okay, not so accidental, but that's the first thing that popped into my head.)

31. Winds of Salem (The Beauchamp Family #3) - Melissa de la Cruz
Thoughts: Another cover in the Delirium face-in-flowers-style. It's pretty, but not particularly unique.

32. Watcher of the Dark (Jeremiah Hunt #3) - Joseph Nassisse
Thoughts: I can't look at it. AHHHHHHHH!!!!!

Cover Battles:

1. The Last Policeman (The Last Policeman Trilogy #1) - Ben H. Winters
Original vs. Redesign: As much as I like the macabre rendering of some people's reaction to the impending comment that will end the world, the boxy formatting of the redesign doesn't really work for me. Then again, it looks like a lot more work went into it than the original cover. Winner: Redesign, even though I still think it looks a bit too much like a pamphlet on depression.
Which cover of The Last Policeman do you prefer?
  
pollcode.com free polls 

2. Chasing the Shadows (Nikki & Michael #3) - Keri Arthur
Piatkus Books vs. Dell: What's odd is how similar these are. It kept the fence and the really stupid font, only made Arthur's name larger (than the title...grrrr), changed the color palette to orange, and got a different model/pose. Thought I hate that they didn't do more, the weird pose and hair in the Piatkus cover are a no go for me. Winner: Dell.
Which Chasing the Shadows cover do you prefer?
  
pollcode.com free polls 

3. Down to You (The Bad Boys #1) - M. Leighton
Original vs. Redesign: Ugh, both of these are what I hate in covers. Shirtless man + random hands versus kissy face. I refuse to choose one. Winner: Mediocrity.
Which Down to You cover do you prefer?
  
pollcode.com free polls 

4. Up to Me (The Bad Boys #2) - M. Leighton
Original vs. Redesign: I REALLY hate the original Up to Me cover. I mean, he sort of looks like one of those Halloween costumes of a ripped chest. Winner: Redesign.
Which Up to Me cover do you prefer?
  
pollcode.com free polls 

5. The Promise (Fallen Star #4) - Jessica Sorensen
 
Original vs. Redesign 1 vs. Redesign 2: Much as I usually don't like kissy covers, this redesign has a cinematic quality that I enjoy, even if it does look like the cover to a Twilight movie. Winner: Redesign 2.
Which The Promise cover do you prefer?
  
pollcode.com free polls 

6. The Girl Who Was Supposed to Die - April Henry
 
Take 1 vs. Take 2. vs. Take 3: I am really puzzled by this slight redesign. They added a cloth, as though to imply cloroform and changed the hand, while adding the ripped look below the title as well. Winner: All of them work. I don't have a strong preference, though I like the bright blue of the first one.
Which cover do you prefer?
  
pollcode.com free polls 

7. The Knife of Never Letting Go (Chaos Walking #1) - Patrick Ness
UK Original vs. UK Redesign: Now THIS is how you do a redesign. They've retained the concept, but made the cover look so much shinier, though I must say that I do really associate that particular font on the left with this series and that Ness' name did not need to be larger than the title. (Yes, I will continue harping on that.) Winner: Redesign.
Which UK cover for The Knife of Letting Go do you prefer?
  
pollcode.com free polls 

8. The Ask and the Answer (Chaos Walking #2) - Patrick Ness
UK Original vs. UK Redesign: Basically, I'm just going to keep applauding despite my couple of reservations. Winner: Redesign.
Which UK cover for The Ask and Answer do you prefer?
  
pollcode.com free polls 

9. Monsters of Men (Chaos Walking #3) - Patrick Ness
UK Original vs. UK Redesign: This is the one that's most improved in my opinion. That planet looks GORGEOUS. Winner: Redesign.
Which UK cover for Monsters of Men do you prefer?
  
pollcode.com free polls 

WTF of the Week: 

1.  Broken Gates (P.J. Stone Gates Trilogy #2) - D.T. Dyllin
 Thoughts: Aside from looking like a purple reject from a James Cameron movie and the random dragon, the real WTFery is the naked people in the eye.

2.  Cake - Nicole Reed
Thoughts: New York Times Best Selling Author, huh? Also, yes, that tagline on the back DOES say "Let her eat cake."

3. Suicide Is for Mortals - Alyson Miers
 Thoughts: You, too, can design a bitching cover in Paint. Cover designing can even be a fun activity with the kids! Parenting and work in one fell swoop!


Outstanding Cover of the Week:
The Angel Stone by Juliet Dark

Learn More or Preorder:

Goodreads|Amazon|Barnes & Noble|The Book Depository

Labels:

49 Comments:

Blogger Emma said...

Ha! Some interesting covers this week...

6. Sookie's going to turn into Alan Rickman circa Robin Hood...dead but won't lie down. Maybe that should be the next inevitable novella title.

32. Reminds me of der Kindestod from Buffy if he became one of the First's minions...

April 4, 2013 at 6:55 AM  
Blogger A Library Girl said...

#15 - The swirly thing looks like it's pointing at her boobs. I hope I'm not the only one who noticed that, or I'll feel terrible.

#19 - I do. It's called Black Bird. Okay, so the main character isn't an angel, but he does have wings, so it's close.

#25 - It looks kind of like they borrowed bits and pieces of children's movie posters. The main image looks like it could be from a Pixar film, and then there's Iorek from the His Dark Materials triology, and I think maybe a bit from Snow White. Or maybe Sleeping Beauty? I'm pretty sure one of the Disney movie posters had evil eyes on them.

April 4, 2013 at 8:12 AM  
Blogger Dragana M. said...

The covers for Fairwick trilogy only get better and better. That's definitely a winner. :D

And I can't believe how that Paint cover looks lame. I could have made the better one. :/ I recently stumbled into some self-published book that had hand-drawn feel to the cover, but 'My Life at the Magical Beings' Rehabilitation Center' lookes cute, 'Suicide Is for Mortals' just looks lame.

April 4, 2013 at 8:30 AM  
Blogger Kimberly @ Midnight Book Girl said...

1. I'm not digging the firey dress. Sorry.

2. This reminds me of The Hunger Games. And not in a good way.

6. I think the last book comes out in May. This is not needed at all. This series jumped the shark many books ago. (Though I give the credit for cover consistency throughout the ENTIRE series).

9. I want to live in that house.

12. That's a J? Fail.

13. When I first saw this picture I thought it was a very odd looking picture of a girl sitting cross-legged.

17. I find this cover to be incredibly creepy (just like The Farm).

21. I love the Lion King! I love the skull in this pic too!

25. The cover of the first one was a gazillion times better. I don't like all this purple!

32. You need to start putting up warnings! I didn't even see the guy at first and he is way creepy! Ok warnings probably wouldn't work because I would just look anyway.

CB 1. I like the redesign, but I think the should take away those two pics at the bottom.

April 4, 2013 at 8:50 AM  
Blogger Sara @ Forever 17 Books said...

1. I'm in love with the flame dress, but yeah... could do without the guy on the steps. It takes away from it a little.
3. Did they have to add eprequel because otherwise it looks, and sounds, like a college textbook?
26. I really don't get the pose...
I just can't with that Suicide is for Mortals cover...

April 4, 2013 at 9:16 AM  
Blogger Angela @ Reading Angels said...

Cake made me want a cupcake... :(

April 4, 2013 at 9:45 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

That Juliet Dark one is definitely pretty, but I love that Alyson Noel one! I'm a total sucker for pretty dress covers, and this one is ON FIRE! Win.

April 4, 2013 at 9:57 AM  
Blogger Heather said...

1. I do kind of love that dress, but I wouldn't want to wear it because, hello, fire!

16. So pretty! This is my favorite of the week, too.

WTF 2. I agree with the tagline; everyone should eat cake!

April 4, 2013 at 10:42 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

1. She stole that dress from Katniss!! She better watch out, I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of that.

4. There is far too much text on that cover. Makes me want to throw things.

5. I like the cover and the title font, but the authors name really bothers me. It's very distracting.

7. It looks like a floating head. Kind of odd, but I do like the colors.

10. I like the colors, and I think it looks neat with the title floating on the water, but the rest of the cover really does nothing for me.

11. Perhaps a red bird exploded and now there are feathers everywhere?

16. That cover is gorgeous!! I really like it.

20. He looks like he's smelling her hair.

23. Sparkly shoulder protectors and a matching cape!! It's the new trend!

26. Weird pose, weird faces, and that guy has the longest neck. I think he might be part giraffe.

32. OMG That cover is awesome!! I have the second book and need to get the first book so I can start the series. SO creepy and awesome looking.

Cover Battles

3. I really like the original, though I haven't actually read the book yet, so maybe the cute flirty kissy one goes better, but by the reviews, I think the original is more fitting.

4. I like the redesign better for this one.

5. Can I choose none. I don't like any of those covers.

6. I like all of them. I think I like the last one the best though. I am also dying to read that!!

WTF

2. Ummm. Why is she naked and I don't consider a cupcake actual cake. It should be called cupcake instead, though I still would stay far away from it.

3. Be sure to let your kids write the swear words too... that makes the activity that much more fun!

Outstanding cover

Yes, I totally agree. That is an amazing cover!!

April 4, 2013 at 10:59 AM  
Blogger Read Write Reviews said...

I'll start by saying I love these posts! They make my Thursdays!

1. It's not too bad actually, I think it's better then the others in the series.

2. The different pins really remind me of the different logos for the factions on the Divergent and Insurgent covers.

3. Blah.

5. I like the covers but Charlaine Harris, share the spotlight please?

6. Why does Sookie look like a 12 year old?

7. I'm impressed as it fits the series covers but It wouldnt make me pick it up.

8. Yawn.

9. The only good thing is the script and Dark witch title.

10. The top half is fine but the bottom half, nooo!

11. Oh this isn't that bad! Although I thought the series ended with the third book? And the third book had a really dark cover so why is this one all bright?

13. Yeah it's a great illustration but I'm not overly impressed.

14. Stock Images... This cover isn't doing it right.

15. I like it and the colours. I'm a sucker for autumn. Also she's fully clothed too!

16. Very pretty and classic but there isn't a cover that mathces it to the first novel.

17. Bahaha! Thanks for pointing that out!

19. Well this is bad.

23. There is something very unnatural about her posture.

24. Why is there so much focus on the braid?

25. I like this, a lot actually!

26. He has one long neck...

29. Is she no longer a nurse? It doesn't fit in with the others too well.

Cover Battles.

1. Original for me, the redigsn looks pretty rubbish to me.

2. Dell as it looks more professional.

5. Redesign 2 is so so much betteer, the original is appalling.

6. I prefer Take 3 as it really freaks me out.

7, 8, 9, Cover designs that have been done really well.

WTF - 1: Urgh, her tears are glass shards as well.

WTF 3 - *snorts*

Ah, how amusing! Thank you for the weekly post!



April 4, 2013 at 11:13 AM  
Blogger Ashleigh Paige said...

1. YES. I fell victim to that lovely, well-done dress. Many Man standing on the steps is probably the bad guy but whatever. I'm still staring at her dress. <3

2. I see this cover and feel like they're trying to get people to identify with the buttons. Divergent, anyone?

3. Ick. That's all I have to say.

6. Those covers are so effin' CUTESY. Oh, the shock I got when I watched the first season of it (I think I was fifteen or sixteen then) and started reading the books. I hope this doesn't turn into a thing either, though I feel like I've seen one or two other authors do it. I can't remember which ones.

7. I kinda love this. <3 The second book sucked something fierce, but pretty pretty and matchy too. FINALLY, something it looks like they put effort into! I might actually read it.

11. This series' covers have no idea what they're doing.

13. I'm marrying this cover. Wanna be a bridesmaid?

16. I agree! Pretty pretty.

23. And yet this is still better than the previous cover.

29. If they get rid of the tentacles, I'll be willing to call it great because I LOVE the purple filter all over this cover. Almost anything is better than the cover for the third book.

5. My answer is fuck all those covers and possibly their author too. I'm mad at Jessica Sorensen right now. >:( Writing NA reboots of YA series you already wrote is such an obvious cash grab that I'm putting her in the same ranks as Cassandra Clare when it comes to being a hack. REALLY.

2. You can tell from the set of the model's mouth that she's probably PISSED THE FUCK OFF.

3. This is so ridiculous that I kind of love it. I can haz printout of cover?

April 4, 2013 at 11:21 AM  
Blogger Audra said...

The Angel Stone is gor-geous! The rest I'm 'eh' on.

April 4, 2013 at 11:55 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

1. Concept is overdone, but the result is SO PRETTY. I love the orange and the pinks! Not a big fan of the font though.

6. Sookie kind of looks like a child ...

8. "Bored now" -- is this a Buffy reference by any chance? :)

14. Ewww :/

15. YAY for a heroine being dressed weather/career appropriate AND not doing a crazy stance!! I'm checking this one out just because of that.

17. EWW the grey and crackling effect looks gross on her skin!!

22. This kind of reminds me of a Sarah Dessen cover.

23. Is she facing the front, or back??? That's some messed up body posture/photoshopping!

25. I like all the elements & all the purple, but it is a bit much all together. Great illustrator though!

32. Holy crap creepy!!!




April 4, 2013 at 1:04 PM  
Blogger Steena said...

11. Elegy: I was excited about this cover more when I thought the flashes of red were koi, which would have looked cool imo. The feathers aren't doing anything for me.

24. Bluewing: With the recent braid craze, courtesy of Katniss, they might have chosen a more complex or compelling braid for their cover.

Angel Stone was the only worthwhile cover this week.

April 4, 2013 at 1:46 PM  
Blogger GillyB said...

FAIRIES, MOTHERFUCKER!

That is all.

April 4, 2013 at 2:35 PM  
Blogger Kat said...

3. It looks like a school-book. And not a fun class either :(

4 through 6. The author that never ends, yes it goes on and on my friends....

11. What kind of bird has red feathers anyway? Surely they aren't THAT common...

12. You're so vein. Oh yes, I went there.

17. Maybe it was supposed to be The Liar?

23. Her chiropractor just had a fit...

WTF1. Is it CRYING glass too?!

WTF3. She could have at least PRETENDED not to design it in paint.

April 4, 2013 at 3:59 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

6. I haven't seen that.... Sorry!

32. AHHHHHH! Why did you make me look at this cover again? Lol.

April 4, 2013 at 5:18 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

15. Pretty sure the swirly doodad is planning to cop a feel.

19. Hahahaha, I am not surprised. You can find ANYTHING in manga.

25. It's just WAY too busy. There's also some His Dark Materials and some Snow Queen. TOO MANY THINGS. Oh, and there's a dirigible too.

April 4, 2013 at 5:19 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

Gorgeous. Makes me wish I'd liked the first book.

Ha, that one you shared does have a certain flair, but the fact that it's not book shaped makes me crazy.

April 4, 2013 at 5:20 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

1. No fire off my dress.

2. I kind of see that. Or Divergent actually. They look like faction buttons.

6. Quit while you're ahead.

9. I do not. Though I do want a horse.

12. I'm not the only one who couldn't see it? HURRAH.

13. I thought the ships were eyes. They just don't make sense as ships, because the positioning is weird.

21.The Lion King is the best Hamlet adaptation.

35. Agreed. The first is better.

32. But I don't know what will bother what people!

The redesign has not been popular...

April 4, 2013 at 5:23 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

3. I feel like the font doesn't help it NOT look like a textbook.

26. Shows off the versatility of the jeans.

April 4, 2013 at 5:25 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

I would also like a cupcake.

April 4, 2013 at 5:25 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

Ha, I know you are!

April 4, 2013 at 5:26 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

Yum. *searches for cake*

April 4, 2013 at 5:26 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

1. OMG, she did. You are a genius.

4. Which is why it's absurd that some names are on there twice? UNNECESSARY!

7. It's because of her feather boa neckwear.

10. True, the colors are good, but I expected more.

11. Makes as much sense as anything. Someone hit it with a baseball. Of course, an exploding bird would not make me look so calm.

20. I think he is, but it's supposed to be sexy not creepy (it's creepy).

23. I couldn't even with that outfit.

26. OH MY GOD HIS NECK.

32. Oh, I gave my copies away or I would send them to you!

3. I suspect the original is more true to the contents as well.

2. Bahahaha, I almost commented on that not being actual cake. Way to be.

3. That's good parenting for you!

April 4, 2013 at 5:30 PM  
Blogger Asheley T. said...

I have so many things to say but in order to have it resonate loudly:
I AM NEVER IN FAVOR OF AN AUTHOR'S NAME LARGER THAN THE TITLE OF THE BOOK. It's so very NO. And with the other example with one author larger than the other, that's just NOT COOL.

Also, I like Elegy fine enough, but when you look at them all as a group, that one looks like it is a little different to me for some reason. I don't know. But YEAH the title thing. It totally makes me want to throw things and I'm not even kidding.

April 4, 2013 at 9:47 PM  
Blogger Kayla Beck said...

1. I wouldn't look half so calm if I looked down and saw my dress on fire like that.

2. *snores*

4. Please don't judge me that I'm putting this on my "order immediately" list. Because I did. *stares*

5. Okay, judge away.

6. I'm going to buy this, but it kinda pisses me off that they're doing this. I feel like the publisher is trying to squeeze all of the money out of me that they can. When you write the end of a series, THAT should be the end of the series.

7. IS THAT A POC?! *dies*

10. I like Robin McKinley. I should be excited, but I'm not.

13. This cover makes me uncomfortable, and I don't know why.

15. This author is also on my automatic buy list. Love the Kushiel series. *sigh*

16. Fucking gorgeous!

17. This series is winning award. Have you read The Farm? If so, should I?

21. I'm intrigued...

23. But indie presses are doing much better!

25. I like MG, but there is WAY too much going on here. Let's just keep the author's name at the bottom and lose the clutter.

30. My hair was that color for AAD last August. It was an accident that I regret. Poor model...

31. Where are the snot bubbles? I mean, that's what would be on my face being close to all of those flowers and grass.

32. Is that Freddie Krueger?

WTF1. But they don't have purple eyes! Don't they get bonus points for that?!

April 4, 2013 at 9:57 PM  
Blogger Dragana M. said...

I liked the first book. Although those inserted excerpts from historical romance novels were irritating.

Yes I know, it's such a small thing but whenever I see it I feel like something is horribly wrong with that book. :D

April 5, 2013 at 1:42 AM  
Blogger Christina said...

Hmmm, I didn't get very far. I just thought it was very blah and unexceptional. Maybe I was in the wrong mood, though.

April 5, 2013 at 8:01 AM  
Blogger Christina said...

1. True. This does seem a bit better, though it's oddly different.

2. I thought of that too, but only later in the comments. Haha.

5. Right? If people don't know her name by now, they're not going to.

7. Then again neither would the series covers. They're pretty boring.

11. I have no idea. I wouldn't be too surprised if Hocking kept going if there was money to be made though. The third cover's the one that really doesn't fit with the others.

16. No, it doesn't match the first one, but it does the second. They did a redesign, but to my knowledge just left the first one as it was which is puzzling.

23. VERY.

24. I don't know. I've liked at least one of the covers in this series, but holy shnikeys this is boring.

26. He's part giraffe!

29. No clue, but maybe not.

5. The original is creepy as fuck.

1. They sure are.

April 5, 2013 at 8:09 AM  
Blogger Christina said...

1. I love that you share my weakness for pretty dress covers.

2. Yup. Divergent all the way.

6. When you declare a series complete or a book a standalone, I never want to see another one. Stick to your guns, authors!

11. Book three is the real outlier, but, yeah, they're all pretty spastic.

13. Sure! I love pretty dresses, as we know.

23. I don't agree with you on that, but they ARE both horrendous.

29. *tentacles attack*

5. Yeah, I know. When I saw she had a new cover, I was like Ashleigh will not be pleased!

2. Well, I would be pissed too if someone were trying to stop me from eating cake.

Hahaha, if you have a printer!

April 5, 2013 at 8:23 AM  
Blogger Christina said...

Right? So pretty!

April 5, 2013 at 8:29 AM  
Blogger Christina said...

1. Yeah, the font's a bit boring, but that's what the series has, so there's not much to be done about it at this point.

6. You're not the only one to say that.

8. That it is!

15. Ha, I think the first one has a crazy crouch, but it's pretty.

17. It's meant to be freaky.

22. Oh, I was like chicka-what, but I see it now. The title font is as huge as Dessen's name on those stupid redesigns.

23. She's not facing s.

25. It's got good bones, but too much!

32. Right? *hides*

April 5, 2013 at 8:40 AM  
Blogger Christina said...

11. THAT would have been awesome. Maybe you should be in charge of cover concepts.

24. It's a really boring, though thick, braid.

Gooo, Angel Stone!

April 5, 2013 at 8:58 AM  
Blogger Christina said...

That is all.

April 5, 2013 at 9:14 AM  
Blogger Christina said...

3. That it does. Environmental studies or something.

4-6. Bahahaha.

11. Cardinals do.

12. *snorts*

17. Lol. Maybe.

1. That it is.

3. Nope. That's the magic of it.

April 5, 2013 at 9:19 AM  
Blogger Christina said...

For real. There is no excuse for either of those things. It's just not warranted.

The series definitely doesn't fit together as a whole.

April 5, 2013 at 9:26 AM  
Blogger Christina said...

1. Now would I, but, hey, she's rocking it.

4. Meh, no. I like graphic novels. I admit a certain curiosity about it.

6. And it's working!

7. I don't think so?

10. I heard her last one, Pegasus, was terrible, so I'm skeptical.

15. Everyone I know either loathes or hates the Kushiel's series. I'm not sure what to make of it.

17. I have and maybe? We don't have the same taste, Kayla!

25. Yeah, I would get rid of the eyes and the four random pictures in the border. Too busy.

30. Ha.

31. Maybe she's not allergic?

32. Perhaps.

1. Not if all the rest is purple.

April 5, 2013 at 9:39 AM  
Blogger Amber (Books of Amber) said...

13. Haha, I thought that the spaceships were crazy eyes as well at first.

17. Yeah, her expression IS weird. What even.

25. I love the eyes on this one, but there is way too much going on O_o

26. "Brought to you by Levi's." HAHHAHAA.

29. MOAR HENTAI. This is becoming a thing.

CB1: Definitely the original. The new cover is terrible >.<

CB5: Ohhhhh, have all of the covers for he Fallen Star series been redesigned? *goes off to check*

CB7-9: I looooove these redesigns as well! I'm a bit sad that I only recently bought books two and three with the old covers, so I don't think I should be the new designs so soon. But I definitely

WTF1: WTF is that wig

WTF3: HAHAHAHAHAHAA I'm dying.

April 5, 2013 at 2:35 PM  
Blogger Shelver506 said...

1. Dude, that dress. THAT DRESS! That's what JLaw's dress SHOULD HAVE looked like. So pretty.

2. "Failure is not an option." Erm... I can't do it. It's too easy. It's like when contestants sing about going home on American Idol.

4. Except for the super-large names, this looks like an MG. I wish it were an MG. That'd be cool.

6. She looks like a Barbie I tortured once. Seriously, what's up with that hair?

8. I can't even read the end of the tagline. Fail.

9. I do love red doors.

10. Wait, Robin McKinley? MY Robin McKinley? This doesn't look like a fantasy. This doesn't look like ANY of her books! What is this madness?!

13. Those AREN'T eyes? *squints* Huh.

15. Is it just me, or does her waist look weird?

16. HOLY EYE CANDY! Pretty pretty pretty.

17. THE FARM has a sequel? Who knew.

21. Ah! It DOES look like Lion King! "Be prepaaaaaared!"

23. She's going to fall over. Someone catch her!

26. What are they looking at?

27. I hate these hands. They look clammy.

28. Heeeeey, he's kinda hunky.

30. I just keep worrying that he's going to break her dress. Romance does not need to be destructive to one's wardrobe!

31. I'm pretty sure she's standing up and they just rotated this picture. Now it's all I see. Change the orientation!

32. Eyyyyyyyyyyyes, owie. His eyes, or lack thereof, I mean.

CB1. If it's really about a killer meteorite/asteroid/whatever, then definitely the original.

CB4. Why are ripped men's belly buttons so weird?

CB6. The original, because it looks less like a redesign of GIRL, STOLEN, which I loathed.

CB7. Would you believe that this is the first time I've noticed the knife in the background? I always thought it was just a slash!

WTF1. At least Reflected Dude looks fairly normal, but what's up with Reflected Chick? Is she animated??

WTF3. I... What? This cannot be serious. CANNOT.

April 5, 2013 at 10:42 PM  
Blogger @MelissaJoLynn_ said...

I had the same exact reactions to 23 and 32. I think I actually screamed when I saw 32 haha. Love these posts!

April 5, 2013 at 10:58 PM  
Blogger Dragana M. said...

I liked it, it was like grown up HP, school full of magical creatures (students, professors etc) I guess it's again that weakness of mine: add a lot of different supernatural creatures and I am sold. ;)

April 6, 2013 at 3:13 AM  
Blogger Christina said...

13. That's not just me! YAY.

17. I really hope that's not meant to be the autistic sister, so they're giving her a derp face. I REALLY hope.

25. Ha, the eyes are my least favorite.

29. Not just for the Japanese anymore.

April 6, 2013 at 9:39 AM  
Blogger Kara_Malinczak said...

1. You're right. But they are so beautiful. I love the covers for this series. I love the back of that dress too.

2. What is with the covers on these books? They are SOO DULL.

3. Awwww, fuck. NO.

5. I love this cover. It's so gothic and creepy and the font color...YEAH. But that author name? I don't even have to know Charlaine Harris to know I think her ego is huge. LOL.

10. Yeah, but I love what they did with the blending of the font and the water. That's cool.

14. SNORE.

16. These covers ARE pretty. Too bad book two was so BAD.

17. Okay, totally rude, but is that a girl or a dude? Hey, that rhymed.

23. Agreed. I'm not so sure I would have noticed though had you not said something. I'm simple like that.

25. Purple! Yes! A Clueless quote! Yes! And it is a bit busy. Still cute though.

26. Ewww. This is gross.

28. LOL! That is true irony right there.

31. I think her face looks creepy. This cover spooks me. O_O

32. How can you be a watcher in the dark with no eyes? Scary though.

CB1: Wow. The poll results on that one are interesting! Most prefer the original. Not me!

CB3: Agreed. I hate covers like this and wonder why anyone likes them.

CB7: Nope, still prefer the original. This cover is CLASSIC.

CB8: Still prefer the original.

CB9: Sorry, original all the way.

WTF2: LOL that is just gross.

WTF3: LOL is that a serious cover or a joke? Because it's hilarious!



April 6, 2013 at 5:34 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

1. So gorgeous, and perfect for Katniss!

2. *snorts*

6. I remember one time when I gave my Barbie a hair cut, my mom was PISSED.

9. My parents have a red door. Was never my thing. I see a red door and I want to paint it black.

10. I do believe so.

15. I suspect that's because of the brown knife sheath, which matches the autumn scene in the background and makes it look like there's a bit missing.

28. Bleh. No. Haha.

30. For real. If some guy ripped my dress in sexual passion, he would be buying me a new one soon!

4. I'd never noticed that.

6. Ha, I liked that book.

7. Really? *tilts head*

1. NO IDEA.

3. Oh, but it can.

April 9, 2013 at 10:19 AM  
Blogger Christina said...

Thanks!

April 9, 2013 at 10:19 AM  
Blogger Christina said...

1. I know. I love this cover in spite of myself.

2. They're bad. TRY HARDER.

3. Even huger than her name on her covers.

10. Glad you like it.

16. I thought book one was bad and DNFed back when I hardly ever did that, so...yeah.

17. Bahaha, your poem. Also, lady, I think, though I see what you mean. Could be a drag queen.

23. Really? That is not simple.

32. Maybe he has great hearing and watches with his ears. He's like vole or something.

1. I was really surprised about that!

3. I don't get it either.

7. Really? I'd not seen it.

9. No need to be sorry.

3. Serious? I think?

April 9, 2013 at 10:24 AM  
Blogger Kayla Beck said...

15. Kushiel is has a lot of graphic sex, and quite a bit of it has to do with pain and fetishes. It's not the most comfortable read. HOWEVER, the stories and world-building are so gorgeous, and it all just works somehow. Don't ask me why, you know how eclectic my tastes are.

17. Yes, but I'm a snob who has a weakness for award-winning books. I know I'm inconsistent with my taste In books, but I always give a chance to something well-written. I only read literary fiction and non-fiction before entering the blogosphere because of school and my social circle.

April 11, 2013 at 12:08 AM  
Blogger Judith said...

1. The dress is GORGEOUS. The guy looks quite feminine to me, actually. Must be the shirt.

2. Which faction are you in?

8. I really don't understand what is up with this series' covers. The first one was a bit weird, and the other two are SO BORING.

26. How about some sunscreen?

27. I have seen this before. Oh wait: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d8/Hands_of_God_and_Adam.jpg

May 4, 2013 at 7:33 AM  

Post a Comment

Every comment is appreciated and I will almost always respond, because I love conversing about books!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home